My Blog List

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

No Stitching this week :(

I've not been doing any stitching this week.  Would love to blame it on my hubby, and while he has been hanging in the living room with me all week, it's really just me being lazy.   I know I'll have to some marathon stitching this weekend along with finishing.  At least I don't have a lot left to do.  After I get done with it, I think I'll work on my CB Noah's Ark's, this year I wanted to get O, P & Q done.   Here is my picture of N Numbats (?) or something like that.  I can stitch a square in a day or two.  They are 49 x 49 stitches and normally not more than 4 colors, some only 3.  It's surprising how fast you can stitch when you don't have to change colors!!

I'm doing a presentation at work tomorrow, so it's consumed my thoughts all week.  I wrote up my presentation last week and then finished it on Monday.  The rest of the week I've been practicing it in my head.  Where I work they put a lot of emphasis on culture with one of the sayings "I've got your back", so I got a t-shirt at Wal-mart that has two skeletons and one is holding a spine and says to the other "I've got your back".  I thought it was funny and will put it on tomorrow for the presentation.

This week I'm basing my talk on a book called "3 Signs of A Miserable Job".  This book talks about the responsibilities of the managers to take an interest in their employees, but also the employees taking an interest in their jobs.  I read the book about 2 years ago, and have been re-reading it as I get ready for tomorrow.  I've re-read about 70% of the book and hope to get a little more done tomorrow.  Most of what is said is really common sense - employees want to know what they do is important, they want to know that you recognize them not only as employees, but as people and they need a way to gage how they are doing themselves.  I like to interact with my group and we try to go out to lunch 3 or 4 times a year as a group.  I also meet my 2 direct reports every week to plan the week.  While I would love to make more money, I really do like my job and my work environment, so unless something that really, really pays well comes along, I'll be here for the long haul.

Well going to veg out in front of the TV a little bit longer than go to bed for a good nights sleep.

Sandy


1 comment:

  1. You know you have to have someone to blame for not getting things done…Why not the hubby. LOL. Mine ALWAYS get blamed. I tell him he just happen to be in the line of fire all the time:)
    Your stitching looks nice..just keep plugging along as you do and you will surprise yourself.
    Please post about your presentation. "I" would like to read about it and perhaps talk about some of the feedback you received. It sounds interesting, especially about the 3 Signs of a Miserable Job. Ho boy, you've got a pretty wide range going there. I do know the most important asset an organization have are "PEOPLE." If they, the organization and the managers realize this early on, most other things will fall in place…provided the managers have strong people skills…and that is another chapter or book.
    Take care and I really enjoyed reading this (other than stitching and quilting).
    Hugs, Jackie:)

    ReplyDelete