My Blog List

Monday, March 20, 2017

The world lost a talented Teddy Bear Maker

I'm really sorry that I wasn't able to format this all better, but wanted to show my prize teddy bear that was made by Steve Shutt and also needed to find a picture with him in it - see him in the background of the orange teddy bear?    That was from a class I took.

Anyways, I was lucky enough to take several classed from this talented person and also got a few of his teddy bears.  I had wanted to do a Good Witch to go with my Wicked Witch, I have the bear fur, but life got in it's way and I wasn't ever able to get it to him.  So I will have to figure it out myself one day, won't be as good.  So anyways, here is a little bit about  Steve.



Steven Schutt, 66, of Clarion passed away on Sunday, March 19, 2017 at the Clarion Wellness and Rehabilitation Center 
Private family funeral services for Steve Schutt will begin at 12:30 PM on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at Ewing Funeral Home in Clarion.
Steven Lester, son of Eldred and Beverly (Lester) Schutt, was born on May 15, 1950. Steve attended and graduated 
from Clarion High School in 1968. After graduating, Steve went on to UNI and received his teaching degree. He got 
his first teaching job in Eagle Grove in 1972 as an elementary art teacher. Steve also taught in Yokohama, Japan 
for two years.
In his free time while teaching school, Steve began to create teddy bears. He won multiple awards and was 
instrumental in founding the Teddy Bear Reunion in the Heartland. Steve traveled all over the world giving 
presentations. He settled back in Clarion and opened up an antique shop and made teddy bears, baskets, 
and Ukrainian Eggs.
Steve will be remembered for lovingly giving his talents to the town of Clarion. In Steve’s own words, “Be magic!”
Steve is survived by his father Eldred “Tiny” Schutt; sister-in-law Diane Schutt; and numerous other relatives.
He is preceded in death by his mother Beverly Schutt; and brother Yale Schutt.

Another added note - Steve was a very modest man and never boost about his accomplishments,   He was a master puppeteer, 
and had been commissioned by the Muppet creator more than once.  He also designed some of the Boyd's bears 
(stuffed not ceramic) and taught hundreds of teddy bear maker want-a-be like me.  He was always happy to share 
what he knew, would give out tips and tricks of the trade.  Steve will be missed, I will miss seeing him at shows
and going to Tucson for classes.

Sandy


No comments:

Post a Comment