My Blog List

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Day Early and a dollar short......

It's the last Sunday, or will be of September tomorrow.  Which also would have been my grandmother's 122nd birthday.  To be truthful October's question of the month would have been perfect for this month....but I guess I'll need to wait until next month to tell the story of my Grandma Millie and will post my tribute to her then.   While my Grandma has been gone for 25 years, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss her.

So what is this month's question?  Which as you know if my favorite part of the post :)

Which floss (or color of Floss) do you absolutely adore and want to stash constantly?

Hummmm interesting question, I guess I would have to say my favorite flosses are silks, especially over dyed or hand dyed silks.  I find myself buying it without anything in mind because I love the dark rich colors of the thread or I have a project in mind, but not sure which color would look the best, so I'll buy two or three.  I think this is why I love SB kits so much, love the lushes silks that come with them (I only have 49 of them, some are done, but many are waiting in the wings).  My first experience with silk was doing a band sampler at LNS in Ft. Smith AR.  Don't remember who the designer was, but shortly after doing that one, I started to do and collect a lot of Just Nan band samplers, which then led to the SB, Victoria Sampler, Indigo Rose and may others.  

My only problem is I tend to have really dry hands and as you know, most lotions are not advised when stitching.  To combat the dry hands I occasionally do paraffin dips before going to bed.  If you've not done one - go and have one done, they are wonderful!!  I got my own set up at home now so I don't have to wait for a trip to nail salon, as I don't do my nails, but I do love getting my toes polished!!  Paraffin dips on my feet are wonderful too and something I treat myself too when I've been overly stressed, or extremely good.  

Now on to what I've done this past month!!

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time you know I'm a serial starter.  I'm not as addicted to starts as some of my fellow stitchers, but I do I love those first couple of hours of stitching a new project.  Its like chocolate, but a lot less fattening, but then I fade fast and start to look for something new to do.  I have always hoped that a rotation of sorts would cure me of my urge to start new things, but it doesn't seem to work too well as each year my list of WIPs gets longer and every year I vow to finish more than I start.

Anyway, every once in a while I hit on something that continues to hold my attention, and I just can't seem to put it down.  It isn't alway a small project (like this time), but there is just something about it, or maybe its because I'm doing it for someone who is special and I enjoy every stitch.  

I started a new project with the last posting and this month I'm happy to say it has been completed!!  Lizzy Kates - Dancing in the Rain.  OK, I need to attach the charm (a small dragonfly that goes between "about" and "waiting", but all of the stitching is completed.  I love the saying, it has helped me get through some rough times over the past couple of years.  There is another saying that I love - can't remember the exact words, but it was something about looking up and not down during a rain storm because looking down you'll miss the rainbow.


I also have my project that I do on my lunch hour at work.  I still need to cut/trim the turkey work on the giraffe, but this one is done as well.  I might add a little more back stitching around the elephant to define more of the face but for now I'm calling it finished.  I need to figure out how to finish it, which I need to take a deep breath and channel my inner sewing skills.  When I was younger I just did it, and now I over think the process.  I have several needlepoint designs that are ready to be finished.  I might need to take a few weekend and focus on working on them.

If you are counting, which I am :)  I had two finishes for September!!  Not bad for me!!  I'm stoked now.
Ok, back to reality, I also worked a little bit on my multiplication table, and without thinking I used 2 threads vs. one that I used in the grid :(  I like how it looks so I think I will continue to use the two.  I will do the grid all in one so it looks the same, but will do the numbers in 2 threads as well, it covers better.  I have a little bit more done this, as I've been stitching this afternoon too!!

This will be my Starbucks project for Saturday and sometimes Sunday morning.  I love to walk down to Starbucks, I get out my i-pad and put in my earbuds and watch something on Netflix, right now I'm watching NCIS from the start.  I tend to lose track of time and hubby either has to call me and remind me to walk back home, or he simply comes and gets me.  Now we are not talking about me being gone 15 or 20 minutes, we are talking 2 or 3 HOURS gone.  Hey you can all relate to it, how time just flies by when you are in the stitching groove :)

Last weekend I had a stitching buddy.  He/she had been a lot closer while I was stitching. However when I got up to take his picture, he scrambled back up his web.  At one point we were eye to eye, but after reasoning with him that it wasn't healthy to be THAT close to me, we settled on him having the area by the post and plant and me having the area around the table.  I'm sure we both kept our eye(s) on each other to make sure neither of us violated our agreement.

I hope you've all have a great month.  Mine has been full of work stress as my co-worker quit, so the stress level has been higher than normal.  Stitching at lunch has been a blessing, it helps me focus in the afternoon, the only problem is that it doesn't last nearly as long as I would like!!  Will be happy when they figure out what they are going to do with his work, as long as it doesn't become mine we'll be good because there aren't enough stitching projects in the world to help me destress from doing the work of two.

Sandy




4 comments:

  1. Love your post, as always. Your Starbucks time sounds fun-- good for you.

    Love your LK and giraffe.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finishes! I'm glad you and your spider friend found a way to live together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The giraffe is lovely! Will you make a pillow? Stitchy time at Starbucks sounds fun- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, apart from the work stress bit. I love Lizzie Kate designs and this is a pretty one. I really like spiders and yours is a beauty!

    It was interesting to read your thoughts about silk floss. I've never tried it but you've tempted me!

    ReplyDelete