My Blog List

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Fall is here???? Only 3 more months left in 2019 and I'm not ready for 2020 yet

This year I've not been very good about posting in my blog, but then it's been a difficult year for us.  We moved across the country and we are still trying to get settled into our new home.  I've also been doing a lot of traveling between our two locations, MI and KY and dealing with health issues with hubby.......sigh, doesn't make for quality stitching time.

So here we are at the end of summer, fall is here, although it was 90 outside today.  Not sure if anyone clued in the weather that it should be getting cooler at night and not quite as warm during the day.  Although MI has been a little bit cooperative about going into fall and we've had some nice cool nights so the AC in MI is off, but it's still going full force in KY.

It is also the last Sunday of the month and time to post in WIPocalypse, which is a group of stitchers who are trying their best to finish up all their projects before the world ends.  I am failing on all fronts of that challenge, but hope that next yer will be better.  If you'd like to see what others are doing, or join the group - go here:

http://measi.net/measiblog/

You will see so many talented stitchers including Measi her self!!

This month's question is - is there a finishing style that you'd like to try but haven't?

There are lots of different finishing styles the I've not tried, flat fold and standup to mention two.  I have had the standup done for me, but not ever tried it myself.  I really want to because that is how I will finish off my Wizard when he is done.  A few years ago I got some needlepoints at a yard sale that are almost done that I figured they would be good for learning since I have not vested a lot of time and effort into stitching them (or money - they were dirt cheap).  The Wizard I do have a vested  interest in, and really want ti done right.

The flat fold would be nice, but I don't have a lot of shelf space for putting things, so not something that is an immediate need to learn.

Which brings me to my next subject.   I've been working on my basement she-cave.  Hubby will have limited access to things, but it will be my domain at the end of the day.   I must have been a bat in a former life as I love the dark caves.

Putting in cheap flooring has made a world of difference in the space, it makes the basement look a lot nicer and more inviting.  I need to paint the walls yet, but don't really care if that happens anytime soon.

I've put up several more shelving units, which are all full of bins from things that I've unpacked.  Now I can find my material, yarn, teddy bear supplies, painted canvases and most importantly my threads and linen for x-stitching.


I also have my sewing machines all tuned and ready to sew, just need a new cutting table and a folding table that will go behind my sewing machine for quilting projects.

I have 3 quilts that just need to be assembled, or finish assembling and one quilt that all of the pieces are cut out and it just needs to be sewn together.  Looking forward to sewing again, haven't really done any in several year nows.

I'm starting 3 projects for Christmas presents - I'm doing credit card holders that have openings that are 2"x3".  The first one I'm working will have hippos - I got the canvas on sale because it was part of Noah's Ark set, no one really wanted just hippos as the ark itself and other animals had been sold already.  I purchased them with the intent of making it into a small ornament for my sister, but when I saw the credit card holders, I figure it was perfect for that!! My sister loves hippos, so she will enjoy her Christmas present I'm sure.

I drew my stitching area and have been working on it.  This has been my only stitching project this month that I have taken a picture of to post  I have worked on my angel and have more of the wing done, but it's boring to show as it's just the wing.

 I'm making progress, it's slow, but it's coming along.  Hope to have the hippos done by the end of October as I have 2 others to do that haven't been started yet, but will correct that error very soon.  The pictures doesn't show it well, but the hippos will be sparkly, the main hippo will be gray, and its mate will be purple.  Got the pink today for around the month and the tongue, and will just use plain thread for the teeth and eyes.  The other two canvases are a small Indian child and a small bee fairy.  Can't wait to show those off once I get them going :)

While at Michael's I found a stick-on spider and decided to get it and put it on my laptop.  Hoping it stays on, think it's kind of cool.  Also found a tote with several smaller boxes inside (70% off).  I plan on pulling out the threads that I have set aside for special projects and put them in those boxes and label them so I know where the thread is when I get ready to start said project and don't pull the threads of other projects.

The next picture is a lone rose from our defunk garden.  Next spring I will work on getting it into shape, and maybe get a professional landscaper to put in some new plants.  We've lived in this house for almost 20 years now, and haven't really put much effort into the landscaping.   Most of the bushes have been removed as they have died, but not replaced.  I think it's time to put a little curb appeal in the front.  Also want to get the vegatable garden back into shape.  Really wanted to do stewed tomatoes for the KY house, but couldn't find any tomatoes that were affordable - not going to pay $25 for 1/2 bushel plus the rest of the ingredients.  My hope is to put in 3 or 4 tomatoes plants in the spring and a few pepper plants, so I will have the bulk of what I'll need.

I did do tomatoes in MI, it will be used for soup and stew starters.... I put in garlic, celery, tomatoes, bell peppers and then add zucchini and hot peppers to a few of the jars.  I think I got 15 jars this year, in the past I used to can 30 to 100 depending on how good the garden was that year.    Hubby was canning his hot peppers, either as a salsas or whole.   I enjoy canning and glad I'm getting back into it, next year hope to do some jams as well.

Hope you are all getting some cooler weather, my brother is getting snow this weekend in Northern CA, told him to send it our ways.

Signing off for now - just call me Sandy who needs to change her blog site name, no longer stitching in Sunny Cal :)

Sandy













No comments:

Post a Comment