My Blog List

Sunday, August 27, 2017

August is almost in the history books - just a few more days

Once again I'm surprised that the end of the month is here and time to post in Measi's WIPocalypse SAL -    http://measi.net/measiblog/

Measi organized this group for stitcher like me that have way too many WIP/UFO's in their stash who really want to complete them before the end of time.

My problem is I keep adding to that list and not really finishing any up so my list just keeps growing every year.  Can you believe that at one time in my life I was a one-timer person?  My undoing was when I thought I could handle a rotation and started 10 different projects.  That was almost 20 years ago!!  The idea was to work on each project for 10 hrs and then going on to the next.  Which was fine, but I wouldn't remember to watch the clock or write down the starting stopping time.  So thought I'd go to 12 hrs - and use a cheap electrical clock, but that meant remembering to plug it in and more importantly to unplug it, didn't happen.  Next thought I to 10 days, but then couldn't remember when I switched and the list goes on.  Of most recent it's more of a grab and work on what you want and that seems to be good for me, especially when I hit that age that I think of something I need to do, get up and walk into another room and can't remember why.......

One year I'll really buckle down and get things finished, until then I'm not going to feel bad or ashamed of all of my new starts each year.  This is my GUILT FREE ZONE :)

So first my favorite part of the post - the question for the month

How do you get yourself out of stitching drought?

I seem to be in a perpetual drought period, while I'm no longer going months without touching needle and thread, I will still go for a couple of days.  My droughts were really self imposed because I would need or want to get something done that I didn't want to do it.  Never because I didn't enjoy the stitch or love what it was, but because it was something I felt like it "had to do".  So the procrastinator in me would take over, and the more I procrastinate, the less I would get anything done.

This would lead to another problem, if I'm not stitching, I'm buying stitching stuff.  So I would go to a shop or get on-line and buy a ton of charts, things I knew I would never even start, but liked.  This wasn't good as we are looking at me retiring in a few years and need to get a few more things paid off so we can retire without having to worry about the small things in life - like food, water and heat.

When I go through these periods I also get testy, I yell at the kids, the cat, the dog and my husband.  At one point it got so bad my husband took me by the hand and said "come with me", and he took me down to my stitching room - told me to go inside and not to come out until I had de-stressed, he would send in food as needed.  LOL - it made me realize that I needed some stitching time, even if its just a couple of hours during the week.

So hence my new rotation- grab and stitch and I don't put any self imposed due dates, with the exception of Christmas stockings.

What have I been doing since the last posting?

First up is my needlepoint tooth pillow.  I'm almost done with the background but have run into a problem.  Not enough thread to finish it :(  Not sure what I'll do, since it's an over dyed that my granddaughter picked out over 2 years ago!!  And I don't remember where I got it.  I'm hoping that maybe I can find something close enough to get it finished.


Next up is my Multiplication Table by Plum Street.   While there is progress, it's not very interesting progress, just putting in the table part itself.  I'm still trying to decided what to do for the numbers - black just seems so boring.  Will start on some of the motifs next, just for change.

What would a new month be without a new start :)  this one is a small project and should go fast.  I'm actually further along than this picture shows.  This is one of my Starbuck projects.  I love to go down to a local coffee shop, which where we live happens to be Starbucks.  I get a fancy drink, set up my I-pad to stream Netflix, which right now are the NCIS shows and my stitching.  I can spend 2 hrs without even noticing the time.  Hubby usually comes and collects me when he is ready to start the day - I'm a morning person, he is not.

Last - I finished up the row before putting this one away.  I love how it looks, just wasn't all the enjoyable to stitch in my option.  

None of my angels got any loving this month, hoping they will in September!!  It is time to put what I've been working on back in the bin and pull out something new.

Hope you all had a great stitching month and will made your goal of getting everything done by the end of time.

Sandy













3 comments:

  1. Great update. I have tired the 10hour rotation and the weekly rotation. I am back to a one at a time stitcher now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, Let me know what that color and lot is. I may have it in my stash. Or try posting on a facebook or yahoo group. Someone has it in their stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really likes your blog and You have shared the whole concept really well. and Very beautifully soulful read! thanks for sharing.
    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete