My Blog List

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Its the last Sunday of April and time for a check-in with WIPocalypse

And I've got nothing to check in about :(  My brother-in-law was told to take all the boxes that had "x-stitch, craft, yarn, fabric, Needlepoint or thread" and put them in the basement for me to deal with when I finally get to move physically.  He called my husband and said he has found 38 such boxes and was that right?  Hubby said there are probably more in the stack and he needed to continue to look......................I'm sure they were exaggerating on the number of boxes, ok maybe not by more than one or two, but that is my stash and in my defense since being here I have sewn enough rag quilts to account for at least 50 years of flannel!!  So I am taking back less than I brought, at least in fabric.

this months question was about the oldest WIP in our stash.

The laundry lady with the quilts is my oldest painted canvas - it was actually probably the second painted canvas that I purchased, and while I started it, I just haven't ever gotten around to finishing it.  As I learn more, I realize that I really didn't do a very good job of picking my stitching.  But I won't be deterred, and it will be completed one day.  I probably started this one about 20 years ago.

The second was my venture into punch rugs.  I have the witch outlined and realized I didn't have enough black yarn to finish it, not sure if the lady under estimated, or if I'm just doing it too closely together.  Anyways, I started that one about 13 o4 14 years ago.   I have a better stand to work on now, so maybe it will see the light of day again - lord knows I have 2 other kits to do.

If I'm pulling out oldest things, the next would be one of the squares for a quilt I started about 11 years ago.  All I have to do is assemble it, all of the squares are done, just need to sew them all together.  its for my son - its a Thimbleberry quilt called Log Cabins.  I wimped out on center block that was supposed to be an appliqué, just not my thing.

The bear was my trial with piece work (I think that's what they called it).  I think I finished, well kind of finished one bear at the class.  I have the squares and such all cut out, but just never got anymore done other than this one.  it's all in flannel, and I'm guessing I started this about 15 years ago.  I needed to do 12 of them for a lap quilt.

The last picture is a cross-stitch afghan that I started about the time my parents were having their 45th wedding anniversary.  It got put aside to work on their gift which was an afghan and never taken back out.  My parents will celebrate 68 years this August, so this has been sitting for awhile.

So these are the sins I could find, I know there is one that is older than 3 of my children.  I have a picture of it someplace and one day it too will see the light of day and get finished.  It was cheap needlepoint kit, the kind you got at the 5 & 10 store back in....dare I say it 70's!!

I'm told that when I look at my UFO's/WIPs, I should decided if I really plan on stitching them, and if not, I should get rid of them.  For me that is easier said that done, as I feel like I need to finish them, whether or not I still like them.  Maybe one day I'll feel differently, but right now, these are all my babies and they all deserve their day in the sun.

Sandy

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome about your parents long marriage. My parents were into their 27th year when my mom died. My dad carried on alone for 17 years and then he passed too. Sad stuff. I had to laugh at how many boxes of craft items your bil counted! You do a lot more crafts than I do. I'm just into stitching and wool appliqué. Best of luck going through your UFOs and WIPs. It's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some things to keep you busy, and those 38+ of boxes too! As my Dad says, it doesn't eat nor drink so easy to keep.
    Oh wow, 68 years for your parents, that's fantastic! Will you try and finish it this year for them?

    ReplyDelete