My Blog List

Sunday, August 28, 2022

I've been around, just not too engaged in anything this summer

 I've been having computer problems with finding the pictures that I upload to my computer.  I know they are there someplace, just haven't figured it out, so been avoiding doing any updates on my blog.....is there anyone out there still looking?

The question for August is - have you participated in zoom or other such meetings/gathering since the pandemic started.   Yes I have done some, but because my hubby is at home and our house is very small, I don't get alone time to enjoy talking to others.  I did try an on-line class and didn't like it at all, there was no interaction between the instructor and people in the group and NO ONE was doing any stitching - they all just were looking at their screens like deer in the headlights.  But the administrator had disabled anyones ability to speak - and somehow typing in a question just wasn't on anyones mind.  we also zoom with family - my parents have been more or less quarantined in their house, so that was helpful.

So what have I done?  

This is Song of the Angel (or maybe it's Angel's Song) by Shepherd Bush.  I have about 10 more rows to go, the one that is partially done has been stitched and un-stitched more times that I can count.  I'm having a hard time getting a good rhythm going on it, will be glad when it's done.  I skipped forwarded and did 2 rows after it just to meet my WIPGO goal for 4 rows.  I'm thinking I will pull it back out for Sampler September and maybe get another finish.

Next up is Arc of White by Tempting Tangles.  I started it on a 40ct dark blue, but just couldn't see the holes and wasn't happy with how it looked.  So found this linen in my stash (isn't it nice to have stash?) and it's a purple color and I'm loving how it looks!!  So happy with my restart and added it to my No New Starts 22-22.  I think I'm up to 18 now, so I have a few more starts that I can do. This has worked out well, getting to start new things during the. year.  
Next up is a finish - not sure the name of the canvas - I call it when Pigs fly.  I want to put it on a small wooden box, so will work on getting that done over the next week so I can give it to my sister when she comes to town again.  The box I have has a 5" x 5" opening and this is 5" x 4" I wish I would have thought of the box idea while doing the background because I would have made it a little bit wider.  I think I will mount it on a black board, the box is black so hoping it will look OK.  I love the background stitch and was happy with the dress and the white beads.  

Next up is  His Eye is on the Sparrow by Heartstring Samplers.  I love this one, I think the cow is actually done now, so this is an old picture.  I really wanted to get the peacock done, and then it was like, why not do the cow too?  So I did.  I like this one because I can pull it out and do one or two motifs and feel like I've accomplished something.  This one will take me years to finish, so it will continue to show up periodically.


The next one is another new start and this picture is old, I have A-E (top row done) the letter F and G done and the start of H, L and O.  I'm working my way down the left hand side to get to something a little more exciting than the alphabet at the top.  Oh this is A Mind Independent & Free by Carriage House.  I saw it while surfing through a website and fell in love with it, it's not very wide, but it is long.  I don't think it will take that long to actually stitch as most of it is word, but with all of my WIP not sure how often it will actually see the light of day.

The next up is my Peace Angel, which is for my son's youngest and only daughter.  W worked on filling in the wing this time and doing a little more of the bodice area of the dress.  The wings are huge, but that is what drew me to this Angel, I love the wings.  I took it off the floor stand and just holding it while stitch, so it went a little bit better this time.  

I've done an angel for each of the other 3 grandchildren, only have 2 more to go, this one and Guardian Angel for my youngest granddaughter.  It is started, but I feel like I should finish this one first, so it will come out again this year to be worked on.  Would love to get at least one wing completed.


the next picture after the angel is the baby sampler for my youngest granddaughter.  This is a remake of the one I did for her Mom when she was born....OK it didn't get finished until she was like 10 or something, but the point is that it was finished!!  

I have all the boxes in, so I can go and fill in the boxes - I think the rainbow is done and I've started another small box.  

I not sure if I'll do the teddy bear or the balloons next.  I would like this done for her 2nd birthday and surprise my daughter.   It would be great if I got it done for Christmas, but I'm not going to stress myself out with that deadline.  

I stopped doing holiday specific stitching a long time ago with the exception of a Christmas stocking.  But those I generally get done earlier in the year and procrastinate on the actual finishing and do that at the last minute.  

My pictures are out of order and I can't seem to get them in order.  The next up will be a new start, my niece is getting married in May and for the other niece and nephew I did a needlepoint pillow for them each.  

Heather got a Pegasus which was her favourite growing up.  Eric picked out penguins for his.  Since my sister (her mom and who died from cancer in 2015) was the story teller of the family, some were actual stories, other stories you wonder where/how she came up with them, I thought this was what I needed to stitch for her.

I'm hoping she tell her children about her Mom and all the wonder stories she would tell.   I plan on doing each child a different color in the outfit, hair and complexion to represent all children of the world.  

I got a box that will be large enough to mount this one.  So I'm hoping she will love it and it also matches the cross-stitch I did for her Mom when she and her brother were young, it was an Indian woman with her blanket around her two kids.  She has that cross stitch in her new home.

The next one is a finish Mercy-Mercy by La-D-Da.  I had so much fun stitching this one and loved it .  I need to go and get it framed and then will give it to my daughter for her daughter's room.  I want to decorate her daughter's room with sayings.  I have several that are either started or kitted up to start.  

The last one is my A Dog's Last Will and Testament by Heartstring Samplers.  I was off by one thread!!  So it was put in time out for a while, but I pulled it back out and got a page finish.  Its about 1/3 done now and I fudged the put I was off and unless you really look it's not too noticeable.  But what is one thread on 36ct?  

This is for my middle daughter who is my dog lover.  She lost her Hannah back in 2015 and her little dog is getting up in years and most likely won't live a lot longer.  So this will be appropriate for her and I'm sure she will love it.

Found one more picture of another finish.  The Right to Vote by Mani-de Donna.  I did 3 of these kinds of charts for my girls and this is the last one.  I still need to get it framed.  One has been given to my girls for their house, one will go to my granddaughter (oldest granddaughter) when she goes off to college as her Dad doesn't appreciate such things and he would toss it in the trash like she's done with so many other things.  

I have a couple of other starts over the last few months, but can't find the pictures.  Oh well, I will try to post again at the end of September with maybe a finish or two?  Or at least progress.  I'm trying to get back into a regular stitching routine.   I go in streaks with my stitching, I've been trying to stitch at least 3 - 4 times a week.  

I'm already starting to think about what I'll be doing next year.  I have a. lot of small Shepherd Bush kits that should stitch up quickly, and I think I have about 12 of them, so I'm thinking next year I'll do one a month - I should be able to finish them in a week leaving 3 weeks to stitch on something else.

So that catches you all up on what I've been doing this summer.  Happy to have the fall around the corner.  I'm not a hot weather person and really don't like summer at all.  I'm a fall person, love the cool mornings and a light frost.  

Sandy


2 comments:

  1. Lots of variety in this post! I like the idea of adding a motif or two to the large sampler every now and then. I love the fabric for your Tempting Tangles design, it does look easier than dark blue 40 count!
    It's lovely that you make so many things for your family too. I just stitch for myself now after years of giving things away and then wanting a copy for myself LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you again, life sometimes tells us to slow down in one are of our lives or another. Your stitching is lovely, so much variety. I agree online classes are not very interactive there's nothing like a good video chat with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete