My Blog List

Saturday, March 29, 2014

The quilt in the header

is the second quilt I completed and gave it to my oldest daughter for Christmas several years ago.  The quilt was a block of the month called Women's Voices and is done with Civil War reproduction material.  I love the warm colors and enjoyed sewing the blocks.  I learned a lot while sewing it, was challenged at ever turn.  So when I put it together and actually got it quilted, I decided it needed to go to my oldest daughter.  She was a new mother with Donna and I knew she would be learning a lot and be challenged at every turn.  And the strength of the women's who stories were being told would keep her warm and her little girl when they needed it most.

A few months back we were talking about my rag quilts (which she has one of those as well) and I asked her if she used the quilt.  She said told she uses it all the time, that it keeps her and her daughter warm on the cold winter nights.  I know it will continue to keep her warm thought her new challenge, and I hope the women in the quilt will give her strength.

I really enjoy doing the traditional quilt squares, I love the challenge of getting the squares to work out. Not the best quilter, but I try.  What I loved most about this quilt was reading the stories behind each of the 13 different blocks.  They were from women on both sides of the Civil War.  I really need to pull out my other quilts, called Patriots and Petticoats, more great stories of strong women who helped form our country.

I hope to have another progress picture of my angel in a few days, I want to get it to a point where you can really see the progress.

Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment