My Blog List

Sunday, November 28, 2021

It's the last Sunday of November

 Wow, the year is almost over with and it's been another wild year for me.  But this blog is about my stitching and right now I'm checking in with WIPocalypse and this month's question is - What new technique did you learn this year.

Well this year I was in the No New Start's challenge, so I didn't start anything, which means I didn't try anything new.  I did get a kit that will have me finish a tray and a tomato, so will do that next year as one of my new starts.  I want to learn more about finishing my work, specially my needlepoint into ornaments and stand up and flat folds etc.  So maybe next year.

I did have two finishes this month!!  I was happy with that, and will take them to be framed soon.  Not sure where I will hang them up, but I'll find a spot.  So here are my two finishes:

The first one is my Peter's Patch by Shepherd's Bush.  I have finished the companion piece Sophie's Roses already and framed it with my Grandma Millie's picture.  She loved her Roses.  My Grandma Pearl was more practical and roses were not something that she would have spent time growing because they didn't provide anything useful.  If she were to have a garden it would have been vegetables I'm sure.  I think she might have had a tomato plant over time, but seems like she wasn't much into anything outside.  We didn't spend a lot of time with her as she lived in Canada and we lived in the States.  They lived about 3 hours away from us, but my Dad traveled a lot and we only had one car, so normally had to wait for vacation time.  We did visited several times a year, but usually for a weekend and my dad would always plan something with us so my Mom would have time with her parents.  Then they sold their house and moved to an apartment, which make it harder focus to visit over night, so visits became day time visits.  I think she would approve of this x-stitch.  

The next finish is my Lucky 13.  Once I got down to the last two I really wanted to get it done.  I am a stitch who loves the start and the end, but really not much interested in anything in-between.  Which seems odd for someone who likes larger projects, not coverall, but large just the same.  On my list, I have 17 x-stitch WIPs in my current list, of which 13 are considered large to big a$$ projects.  Maybe that is why I don't seem to get much done???  I also have several needlepoint projects going, those are the ones that I will work on my finishing techniques. 

Since I have been part of No New Starts, I had picked out about 24 projects this year to work on.  As of the first of November I had worked on 21 of those projects, but had three I had not touched.  Peter's Patch was one, pulled it out and decided it was close enough to a finish that if I focused I could get it done, and I did!!

The second one was American Quilt Flags by Rosewood Manor.  I saw this one done about 20 years ago and really loved it, but never started it.  Decided about 5 years ago to start it, but never got very far.  I put it on ly 2021 list thinking it would encourage me to work on it more often, but it didn't.  I pulled it out and got a little bit more done just so I can touched it.  I really need to work more on this and get more of the quilt squares done as that is what I loved the most about it.  It's not on my focus list for 2022.

This is what it will look like done and here is where I am.  I have 2 squares done, but since there are 50, I'm not very far at all.  I think I might do more of the blue around the squares, then I can go back and add the quilt squares.  

The last project is my Ice Angel, it was for my daughter who passed away almost 7 years ago.  I might bring it out, but it's hard to work on, so it might just stay where it is for a little bit longer.  I really would like to finish the angel, as I'm working on one for my youngest daughter and did the August Fairy for my middle daughter, so it's important.

The rest of the month was spent deciding what I would be working on in 2022.  while looking for a chart I knew I wanted to start in December, I came across so many other charts that I had forgotten about but knew they had to go into my work plan!!  So while I still have 38 WIP's, of which I moved 7 to my indefinite UFO list, I want to add 23 new projects, but will limit myself to no more 22 that I will consider active during the year and before I can start another focus one to work on, I will have to have a finish!!  So my hope is to keep my actual WIPs under 40, and hopefully get them down under 30.  

Have any of you used a calendar for any kind?  Do you think it keeps you more on track?  or just one more thing to occupy your time and take away from actual stitching?

Well the first holiday is over, and I was able to bring my stitching stuff back out.  We had my granddaughter here for 4 days, and I had to put everything away as she is very mobile now and our house is small, so there isn't anyplace to put things to keep them out of small hands other than away in bins and such.  

I'm hoping the end of the year will provide another finish, but not holding my breath.

Sandy



1 comment:

  1. Well done on the No New Starts, I'm going for the 22:22 version with the aim of getting my WIPs below 20 and only starting a few things I can finish within a short time frame. We shall see!
    Love the orange fabric for the spooky 13.
    I have a diary for my stitching, I just write down the main project I worked on that day. Also any Starts or Finishes. I keep a spreadsheet for all my WIPs too. I like to be organised!

    ReplyDelete