My Blog List

Sunday, July 30, 2023

How did I get to the end of July?

 I know June was here, but boy it just flew by and July has been going just as fast.  While I worked in June, I took the month off from doing the care giving to my folks.  My siblings were asked to step up and take on the responsibility for the month.  So they did, but they made sure there were two of them at any given time.......my younger sister was the last one to leave and I went over to take my Dad his daily coffee (he loves Starbucks - my bad I introduced him to it) and she wanted me to do things that day because she was so tired.  I told her that I was still on vacation and she could do it, she had less than 4 weeks and I've been doing it for 3 years.  Oh well, not all siblings are created equal and I guess I shouldn't complain too much as they did come for 4 weeks out of 52 - more than they usually come.  I understand they don't live near my parents, but 2 of them are retired and could help more often, but always have reasons why they can't.  Oh well, complaining won't change things and I need to keep a positive attitude.

So I'm still trying to do the WIPocalypse challenge.  I didn't do much stitching at all in June and haven't gotten a lot done in July, but a little bit.  I go through periods where I just don't stitch and then I start again and wonder why I stopped. 

WIPocalypse is the brain child of Messi and is meant as what I call a soft challenge group.   You just stitch what you want each month with the idea that some or all of the WIP's that you'd like to have done before the world comes to an end get finished.  You can find more here:

https://measi.net

Each month we have a question - I skipped June's check in because I had nothing to really show and my mid-year recap wasn't anything to write home about.  I watch a lot of floss tube and so many people have so many finishes for the year, I feel like such a slacker - but then a lot of them are smalls, so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad.  

So here is the question for July:

Topic(s) for next time: Which are your favorite and least favorite fabrics to stitch on? 

If I had been asked this question 20 years ago I would have told you I didn't like even weaves, but not sure I would say that now.  I really can't tell you what kind of fabric I stitch on, I don't pay attention, I generally look at the quality of the fabric.  Given the time I spend stitching on a lot of my BAP, I want a fabric that I enjoy and won't give me the blues.  With that being said, I haven't stitched on Aida in probably 30 years, doesn't mean that I don't like it, just means I like linen better.  If you ask about count size - 36 ct. is my sweet spot, I can see it and love stitching with one thread.  I do like 40 ct., and have several projects on it, but it is harder to see if the fabric is darker.  

So what have I stitched on for the last 4-8 weeks?  This isn't necessarily in the order stitched on, but close.  Also not showing my needlepoint for my niece - hoping that next month it will be close to a finish :)

I finished the crow on Lila Studio's Nevermove.  This one is close to be done, so hoping for a finish on this one this year.  I love the crow, that is what drew me to the chart in the first place.  I changed the colors - he is done in a dark purple. 

I like working a few smalls so I have some finishes every year.  










The next one is Halloween by Hawk Run Hollow's.  

I'm working on getting the boxes in, but doing a little bit in each box as I get the square completed.   I couldn't resist doing some fun stitching as doing the borders is so boring.

My goal this year is to get most of the boxes in and then will work on actually completing squares in 2024 - figure this one will be finished sometime in 2030 LOL.  It's a big one!!

This was a another small one - Shepherd's Bush - A Garden Gentle.  

This was a start and finish in July - one day actually.  I purchased a ton of these small kits, they included the fabric, silk threads and small painted matting.  The only problem is the sizes aren't common so getting a frame has proven to be challenging.  This is my 3rd small finish this year - I think I had 12 of them for the year.  Making progress, but not keeping up with what I had planned.





The next one is Family Tree by Thistles.  I love this chart and think it will look great when finished.  This is the 4th square that is completed out of 10 houses in total and then there is a tree in a huge middle block.  I want to get another house done this year if not two.  These stitch up fast and are fun to do.  I'm not doing this in the order on the chart, but have re-arranged them.  I need to work down one of the sides so I can start on the tree, I think that is one that I'll need to do a little bit at a time or it will never get done.

No stitches you say on this one???  You are right, this will be a new start.  This chart is being done by many people as a stitch a long with Pam from Pam & Steph's Just keep stitching floss-tube to celebrate Pam's 30 year of being cancer free.  I've decided to do the chart in teals, blues and purples to honour the love ones we've lost to cancer and the love ones who survived cancer and are still with us as well is my Mom's dementia.  I'm trying to decide on where the colors will go, not sure if I'll start with one color in the upper left and change as I got to the lower right?  Or pick out big motifs for each color.



Lavender & Lace Peace Angel.  She has hair!!  And some gold in the bodice now.  I filled in more of the wing, but you really don't see those stitches as the white has been in for awhile.  Next up I think will be the face.  I wanted to get the hair done because I'd like to work the face top to bottom.  

This is one that I'm not really fond of the fabric, but I'm too far to turn back now.  It was the called for when the chart came out, so it was in my stash when I finally decided to start this one - which OMG was about 10 years ago!!  it has lingered and I'm trying to get more progress this year.  Goal is to have the face in and more on the right wing.  While the wings are huge, they have nothing on the dress.  


Next up is Mary Ann Alder by Needlework Press.  I got the swan finished and most of the over-one words that are on pages 1 & 2.  

The top border is full width of the sampler and I'm starting down the right side.  Goal is to have page 2 completed by the end of the year and this one finished in 2024.  I love the swan and below the swan is a house - not sure how I feel about the house, but it doesn't look to hard, just a lot of stitching.




Hopefully August is more productive as I have a few missing spots on my WIPGO board, although I do have a bingo of sorts.  My board has two projects for each square - One that requires 6 hours of stitching and one that requires 6 lengths of floss (or more).  It's the 6 lengths of floss projects that aren't getting done.  Those are the ones I'd like to get done, but no long find joy in stitching on them.  I'm just trying to get some progress on them.

Hope you've all had lots of stitching time and made lots of progress on your WIP's

Sandy


4 comments:

  1. Awesome stitching Sandy. You're making great progress on them. Can you tell me where you got Family Tree by Thistles?

    Thanks,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think I ordered it through my local shop when it came out several years ago. My local shop isn't as good as they used to be about getting orders in, so I won't do any orders through them anymore. Shepherd's Needle in AR shows it on their website - you might try there. They game me excellent service in different things I've ordered from them. I got the threads at a needlepoint shop in CA, the skeins were bigger than what the cross stitch stores carried, so I'm hoping I have enough.

      Delete
  2. You seem to have made some good progress this month! Love the look of the new Quaker too. I'm coming to the end of Halloween at HRH so it will be nice to follow your progress now. The Angel is gorgeous but that's far too much white for me!
    As for the eldercare - if people don't want to do it then they need to pay professional carers instead so you still get your breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, isn't family fun? We have our family stuff too, so frustrating.
    A Garden Gentle is lovely and you're working on some great pieces! I hope to start my Halloween at HRH, but I'll be stitching them individually.

    ReplyDelete