My Blog List

Sunday, September 29, 2024

End of September Posting

  Wow, can't believe we are at the end of September, this year is just flying by and while this wasn't a great stitching month, I did get something done.

This monthly update is brought to you by:

WIPocalypse. Where we work on all those WIP's we'd like to have done before the world comes to an end - which as my WIP list keeps growing thankfully this hasn't happen.

So the question of the month is How did you learn to stitch?  An interesting question - I actually started to hand sew as a very young child who loved to go to my Grandma Millie's house with my Dad (who worked in the family business out of her house).  I think the question was always how to you occupy a young child when there is no TV??  So my Grandma taught me how to stitch - first it was sewing on button's, snaps, hooks & eyes, then doing x's on gingham cloth and then surface embroidery on pot holders and towels.  I'm sure my grandma took out the surface embroidery I did as it wasn't very good and it seems like I work on the same design over and over.   When I got married in the early 1970's I got several different kinds of kits to try out - stamped, crewel and needlepoint.  I finished the crewel, tossed the stamped and have one of the two needlepoints done - the other is my oldest WIP.  then went to sewing clothes, some crocheting and knitting until I found counted cross-stitch and as they say the rest is history.

So what did I do in September?

this was a new start - Rose Wood Farms by Stacy Nash - it was an exclusive when I got it, but it may be out by now.  The picture on the chart was a much lighter color of fabric and the colors showed up so much better.  I like the design, but not really happy with the linen they sent, but alas I'm going forward with it now.  Maybe 10% done, would have liked to have more done, but that darn frog took up residency in my pond and I unstitched almost as much as I stitched.  I think it's back on track now.
 The next one up is an older chart that I found not too long ago - the 7 Virtures by La-D-Da.  I'm not using any of the called for anything on it.  I like my color choice, have tweaked it a little bit since starting and pulled out some 36 ct. linen from my stash - can't remember the name, thinking it's an Atomic Ranch????

This one is probably closer to 25% or more done.  I don't count stitches, so I based it on the pages and their finishes - This chart has 2 pages and this is a little more than 1/2 of the first page.

The next one up is my Four Angels Mourning Sampler by Scarlet Letter.  This one has a LOT of over one - the chart called for 40ct, which I started it on, but soon discovered that wasn't going to happen - the face of the angel was my downfall.  So I started it on a larger count - also didn't work, so took that one out and went with this 28ct.  It's going to be a lot larger than intended but that's OK at this point - it's going forward.  The smaller motifs that are over one are full crosses with one thread, the larger over one are done with a half stitch and two threads.  I just need to remember to so the half in the same direction as my top stitch - can't tell you how many times I had to take out what I did on the sun and re-do.  Really like the sun and can't wait to get to the moon.   I think I will keep going in the middle section until it's done then go back to the outer part.

This I my needlepoint that I'm doing for my niece, it is her wedding present (two years late, but at least it's done now).  I have to take and put it into the box top, which I'll do sometime in October so I can send the box to her.  In side the box will be filled with stories about growing up with her Mom - I got my siblings to add stories and she already has some stories that we did when she got married. 

I love this canvas, but glad it was done, the background was a lot of work!!  I have 2 other canvases in various stages and hope to get them done - or at least one of them done yet this year - maybe a picture next month of the one that is getting close.

Next up is an actual finish!!  Yeah, for me.  This is Inspire Others by Heart's Content.  

It is all done over one, which after working on my Mourning Sampler was a breeze - it's on 30 ct. linen from the kit.  

I had the middle part done and finished the rest this time around.  It really went fast, not sure why I let it linger so long!!  I will finish this one into a box top and give it to my granddaughter when she graduates high school next spring.


Last up is my Arc of White by Tempting Tangles.  Not the called for linen color - can't remember what I used, but it's a purple and I like it.  The threads are also not the called for, but similar in color.  This one is probably 40% done - I've been jumping around where I work, this last time I did the leaves and motif in the lower left, it's close to the bottom of the design.

There was one other that I started this month - Parker's stocking by Shephard's Bush, but for some reason I didn't take any pictures of it!!  I only worked on it one day, it will come out to play this week so I'll post a picture next month.

Can't wait to see what others have done this month.  Hope you all had great stitching months.  

I have to tell you I am being pulled to the really dark side of the full coverage - I'm sure if I see a chart that I absolutely love I will surrender.  I just need to get a new tablet and program.  In the mean time I have decided to start a Long Dog, I have my silk threads and just need to pick out some linen that is big enough.  

Sandy


No comments:

Post a Comment