My Blog List

Thursday, September 15, 2016

A day early with posting for the Full Moon, the moon is still waxing....

I totally blew last month's question for the full moon.  It was about reading books that involve stitching.  I have read a lot of different books, all mysteries that revolve around some kind of craft/artistic work.  My favorite has to be the Benny Harper Mysteries, was sorry to see those end.   All the books were named after quilt squares.  Also love the one that takes place in Ft. Collins CO with Kelly (??) who is not only a knitter, but an accountant (so like me).  I've been there and seen the shop that is always features and even eaten in the little cafe that is connected to the shop.  And of course what needlepoint mysteries wouldn't be complete without Monica Ferris' book, actually met her in person, she is a hoot.  OK, now on to this month's question.

Full moon topic for September 2016 – Tell us a story about the journey you took through one of your completed pieces.

When I first read this topic I thought, boy I don’t stitch when I’m sad, so I don’t have any story to tell.  But then I thought – wait a minute, you do stitch.   While it is kind of one story, there was more than one piece involved.

Where I started
As most of you know who follow my blog we lost our daughter to cancer two years ago come January, and then my sister lost her battle with cancer a year ago last August.   Words can’t describe how much my heart broke during my daughter’s battle with cancer, she lived less than a year from diagnosis.  My sister’s battle was 5 years, with lots of ups and downs.

Where I left off
When my daughter was diagnosed I pulled out the angel that I started for her years ago.  I made progress on it, but try as I might I just couldn’t stitch on it for very long.  It just made me way too sad.  I will finish it because I think it will be beautiful when it's finished.  Love the purples I picked out, hate the rayon thread, which as you many have guessed is the white, so it will be a long process.  



So instead I stitch a Lizzy Kate design call “At our House, we do Love”.  I chose this one because my daughter decided to move in with her sisters with her daughter.  So we had 3 adult children, who had all been living on their own in one house with a 7 year old child.  There were tense moments, but when it counted the most there were there for each other .  Believe me in our family we really do LOUD REALLY well LOL, and patience not always so good.  However at the end of the day we continue to do family and Love, so I guess that is what counts.

After my daughter passed away and my sister had found out that the cancer had returned with no options to fight it I once again turned to a Lizzy Kate – Let them be Small.  It gave me solace to stitch and gave me words to live by – tomorrow isn’t promised so I need to remember to appreciate today, regardless what it brings.   So I don't pass up opportunities to spend time with family or friends anymore.

Both of the Lizzy Kate’s are done and hanging up, one at our home in KY with my 2 daughters and the other in my office at work where I can see it every day.

As my sister entered what we knew would be the start of the end I turned to stitching once again.  This time it was a SamSarah Design that I saw in one of my stitching magazines and knew I needed to do the project and get it done as quick as possible and to my sister.   It is called The Flock and was printed in 12 charts.   While I was not happy with the number of charts, the saying reminded me of her fight with cancer and helped me through a lot of nights while I stitched and cried.   As I stitched the words I found some strength, I know that sounds sappy, but I knew this was the perfect project for me to work.  My sister loved it and I told my niece that when her Dad was ready to let it go, it was hers, so she could remember how strong her Mom was during the bleakest times.   Picture doesn't do the frame justice, it looks so great.

 So you’d think this would be the end of my stitching story – but it’s not J  in my grieving I’ve been looking for things to stitch that will have meaning.  So I’ve spent a ton of money buying Wizard of Oz needlepoint ornaments to do for my sisters and brother and parents. My sister was a huge Oz fan, so this should be a fitting present.  I found a mourner’s sampler to do for myself for my daughter.  

I will be grieving for awhile yet, I've moved on with my life, but not ready to move on from my grief.  I’m OK with that for now and will give myself the time I need to heal.  My stitching will continue to be a big part of the healing process.  It seems to bring balance back into my lift.

Now, what have I been doing since the last full moon?  

Well I started a SB stocking for hubby's nephew's pending wee one.  I'm having fun with this one, the cape is kind of boring, but once it is done, then I will be on to smaller motifs that I can do and feel like I've accomplished something.

I've also been working on my middle daughter's purse flap.  I think it's going to look great when it's done.  I love working with the red silk lame, it stitches up so nice.  Wish I would have gotten it in black too.  A little more expensive, but worth it because it makes stitching so enjoyable.   

I have one other project I've been working on, but haven't taken any pictures, so maybe next time I'll have it completed!!  

I will have a new start the next time :)  and hopefully at least one finish (the SB stocking).  

I hope you all had a great month of productive stitching. Cant wait to see what you've finished, you all inspire me so.  I stitching mojo wanes and waxes with the moon.

Sandy




1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post :). I'd say those definitely count as sad moments. But stitching is a journey so even if we don't stitch while sad, there are stories in the happy moments too :). Everything looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete